Monday, May 11, 2009

Chatting with Alycia Cooper

I had the opportunity to talk with the hilarious Alycia Cooper after she performed at the Baltimore Comedy Factory. Not only was she very nice, she also had a lot of great information

I loved your routine, you were great! Where are you from?

I’m from Temple Hills, Maryland.

When did you decide to get into comedy?

You know, it happened a few times actually throughout my life. The first time was in the mid-90s, right after Def Jam. They may it look so easy. So I tried it, didn’t have anything prepared, and bombed like I should have. Then I stopped doing it because I didn’t think I was funny. But it wasn’t that I wasn’t funny, it was that I didn’t prepare.

So when I did it again in like 2000, it was a challenge. A friend of mine had signed me up, it was like a talk show. I was booked on it to do stand-up. So I said, “OK, I’m going to do this show and be on TV. I’m going to have to learn how to write jokes.” I wrote an act, and had some moderate success. So, I decided to stick with it.

In 2002, I did Comic View, way to early, why before I should have. But the lesson was, if you can do a run in front of thousands of people, you can go back to the comedy club easily.

What are the challenges of being a female comic?

OOOOHHHHHH, LORD! The challenges are endless. You have a lot of male comics that say they can’t take you on the road with them because their wives won’t let them take a woman. Then you have a lot of women comics that tell you they want to be the only woman on the lineup. Then there’s the pervasive feeling that female comics aren’t funny. And that’s just some of the things that women have to go through that men will never experience.

What makes you continue on in spite of all these challenges?

You know, some people use crack, cocaine, meth, purple haze, alcohol. For me, comedy is my drug. Being on the road, and getting something back from the audience in return, getting a response from it, that’s almost like a drug. You just want to keep on coming back and doing it; it becomes in addiction.

Have you used the Internet or social media to help advance your career?

Oh yeah, I’m on sites like Myspace and Facebook and I have videos up. It has definitely helped me with my career. Even having an electronic press kit is great; all I need is an email address and I can send you everything about me. The Internet is a great way to promote yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment