Sunday, March 8, 2009

Chatting with Comedian Alabama - Q & A Edition

Comedian Alabama not only does stand-up, he also manages the Baltimore Comedy Factory downtown. After a quick chat with him, here's what he had to say:

What is your real name? Are you originally from Alabama, and if so, what brought you to Baltimore?
Well my birth name is Deshawn Frazier, and I’m orginially from Talladega, Alabama, home of the world’s fastest NASCAR track in the world (my small city’s claim to fame). I moved to Baltimore in June 2001; my then wife was from B’more and I followed her up here.

When did you decide that you wanted to pursue comedy as a career?
I’ve been in this business for seven years and this is my world. I pursued stand-up prior to arriving here in Maryland. I went to open mics and began developing different routines. I also met veteran comedians who helped me out with advice and I took it all in. I developed my own comedy style.

What comedians inspire you? How did you develop your style?
I grew up watching Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Sinbad and many more. I studied comedian greats like Milton Berle and Redd Foxx, and I admired the way they’d get the crowd laughing and they never stopped laughing.

How has the Internet helped with your career or the club? Do you have any upcoming projects, events or shows you want me to mention?
The Internet is good for finding clubs and helping me to promote outside of the box. I have an Easter show, April 12th at 7 pm. I’ll be doing stand-up at the Baltimore Comedy Factory that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment