Saturday, March 28, 2009

Baltimore Improv Group


I went to check out my first improv show at Creative Alliance’s Patterson Theater last night. The show featured the Baltimore Improv Group know as BIG. For this performance, BIG featured three comedy troupes, Gus, the Moving Walkways, and special guests from the Philadelphia Improv Theater. As improv typically goes, the troupes took suggestions from the audience at the beginning of their set and built upon it based on reactions from the crowd.

I came in the middle of the Gus set, so I was pretty confused; although the audience enjoyed it very much. Their performance ended with a creepy scene set in a restaurant called “The House of 100 Eggs” and there was some weird sexual innuendo going on. Whoa. Next was the group from Philadelphia, a husband and wife team. Overall, their performance fell pretty flat, but I have to give them credit for having the guts to perform in front of strangers with no script prepared.

After a short intermission, I was wondering why I came to this thing and spent $12 on a Friday night! I live for weekends. I hit the bar hoping that the alcohol would help. However, it’s hard to get drunk in 10 minutes at a cash bar. Luckily, the Moving Walkways was actually pretty hilarious. They even made fun of Diane Rehm; it was so wrong, yet it worked.

Here’s a video featuring some of the members of the Moving Walkways:



Afterwards, the MC talked about the improv classes that they offer every Tuesday. It could be a great opportunity for someone thinking about comedy to improve on their skills and delivery.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings - just a short correction note: The first troupe was called "Death Wish III." "Gus" did not perform that night.

    Thanks for the review - improv does not get reviewed much. The Death Wish II set was actually pretty good - but I can see how it would be confusing coming in the middle of it.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the correction Prescott! I have a lot of respect for you guys, really!

    ReplyDelete