Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Love Comedy Central - The Daily Show

I have a confession: I don't watch the news anymore. I check CNN maybe once a week. I get most of my news from blogs that I've deemed relevant and informative. I also watch a lot of Current; they really seem to have a good understanding of the trends in new media and reporting for now. Sometimes when I'm sick of my ipod, I do enjoy flipping to NPR to find out what's up in the world.

But I am a little ashamed to say that I get a lot of my news from... The Daily Show. Just a little ashamed though because I really don't think it's all that bad. Even though it's a self-declared "fake news" program, the Daily Show has provided me with just as much, if not more, insight than the 24-hour news networks. That may sound incredibly sad/dumb/impossible, but let me explain.

During the Presidential Race last year, I did make it a habit to stay informed by the traditional media. I checked CNN multiple times a day, watched all the debates, cringed while forcing myself to give FOX a chance, and stayed up on FactCheck to see what was what. But the Daily Show proved to me that it was the only place that went back into past, the achives, to give the full story.

Go to 5:20 on this one to see what I mean.


The Daily Show With Jon StewartM - Th 11p / 10c
Indecision 2008 - Last Day
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Economic CrisisPolitical Humor


Like, why is Sarah Palin's recording of Barack Obama even relevant? It's not; John McCain shares the same exact views. Yet, on all the traditional news sources I watched, that point was never addressed. Interesting. And besides, Jon Stewart is straight up hilarious, so that's reason enough to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment